Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Randomly Specific

Water
Breastfeeding 1-2-3 has an excellent post on water consumption! For example, I didn't know that if you consume too much water it can actually decrease your supply. I remember being CRAZY thirsty in the first few months and definitely believe in the "drink to thirst" methodology. My first few months found me dragging water wherever I went and part of my nighttime routine included carefully putting together a pitcher of ice water for during the night.

Testimonial
I came across this Australian site that has gathered some personal experiences surrounding breastfeeding. The site includes interviews of 49 women and 2 men. I haven't gotten to dig around it much, but can't wait to read it. I am working on a little project of my own where I want to interview a variety of women from across the decades starting with my grandma who breastfed in the mid 1940s and probably ending with my step-mom who nursed in the mid 1980s. I am compiling my interview questions now and if there is anything in particular that any of you would like me to ask, let me know!

Random Unsolicited Advice
I love, LOVE my doctor. I don't always agree with her, but I always take her opinion into serious advisement before making decisions (I'm talking general babycare/lifestyle advice here). I've been concerned about my son being jealous while I am nursing my daughter and asked her a good way to handle that. I've seen that a new mother nursing her child can create a hot spot for the older child because he/she knows that "mom is busy" and now is a good time to act up while her hands are full. My doctor's advice was to have a basket of special toys for the older child that are only brought out while nursing. What an excellent idea coming from a mother of 4, tightly spaced children! I'm due in 8 weeks, so over the next few weeks, I am going to put together a few small baskets of some new toys and will mix in some old ones so we don't break the budget. I thought I'd pass that idea along because I am not sure I would have come up with that one on my own in my current weakened mental state that I refer to as "pregnancy brain".

No comments: