Saturday, May 5, 2007

Double Standards

In celebrity news, I came across this article about Maggie Gyllenhaal and within the article, there is a snap of her breastfeeding her daughter, Ramona. The photo took my breath away. Seriously. It is such a beautiful shot. Then, I read all the rude, spiteful, nasty comments. Bah. My first reaction was that it was incredible invasion of privacy on the part of Gyllenhaal's, but realistically, she probably knew the shot was going to happen. I have to wonder if she didn't do it on purpose to make a statement. After all, there are TONS of paparazzi shots of her out and about with her daughter. She must be aware that of that.

By the way, the title refers to me. I've mentioned before that I am totally down with public nursing, just use a blanket. Officially, I'd like to retract that statement because this little photo made me realize my own hypocrisy (yep, I do that sometimes. Chalk it up to personal growth or something). Just yesterday, I was watching an episode of the Sopranos which provided the usual full-on breast shot. I am also a HUGE fan of Sex and the City. I wonder how many of the commenters who made all the mean comments are also HBO fans?

Those folks need to get a clue. I sure did.

No comments: