Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sad/Happy

Sad
As I perused all the Breastfeeding Headlines today, they just made me sad and I couldn't muster up the energy to post about them or link to them. Most were about a variety of laws, world-wide being passed to protect a mother's right to nurse in public - Boston, Toronto, and the UK, for example. It's the same story over and over, just insert a new place, city or country. Sigh. I realize now that I must have been just incredibly lucky or was blissfully in ignorance when I was breastfeeding my son those 15 months. I traveled to so many places during that time without a problem and seriously, I must have been LUCKY. I was definitely not as aware of the all the controversies back then as I am now that I am writing this blog. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I am now afraid of being more paranoid while nursing my daughter. And that? Makes me sad.

Happy
I discussed my co-sleeping post with my doctor on Friday during my OB appointment (36 weeks, folks! Yee haw!) Regarding safety, she added the good point that women with long hair should keep it tied back while sleeping and to be aware of any long strings/ties on shirts and nightgowns. She has a friend with long hair who had a frightening situation when her hair became entangled around her baby's neck - her hair had to be cut, but everything ended up okay. We discussed co-sleeping in general and my doctor admitted that she thinks everyone should co-sleep. I guess all this talk of breastfeeding and co-sleeping are making me very excited about having a new, snuggly newborn. And that? Makes me happy.

No comments: