Monday, July 2, 2007

Confession

There hasn't been much going on in the World of Breastfeeding lately. No breaking news. No controversies. No hot stories. In fact, my own breasts are just sitting around, not doing anything to provide much in the way of blog fodder. Losers.

I am 39 weeks pregnant with a due date looming this Friday. I am very tired, very uncomfortable, very normal, but I am VERY EXCITED. The beauty of a 2nd pregnancy is that I feel less anxious than I did with my first baby. This time around, I know I can hack this "new baby thing", it's just a matter of putting my nose to the grindstone and bearing it out until you come out of the rabbithold. I can't wait to hold a snuggly newborn on my chest. I can't wait until her hair is matted and sweaty in my neck. And to boot, my 20 month old son has just been utterly adorable these past few days, reminding me that I get to experience these delicious toddler days AGAIN. So life is good.

I finally finished packing my hospital bag over the weekend. I realize there are a few "first time" mothers reading this, so I thought I would post what I've packed. I remember reading in all the Wise Baby Tomes extensive, long, intimidating packing lists and I ended up packing some silly things that I didn't need. Also, I recommend keeping EMPTY space in your suitcase so that it will easier to pack up all the goodies the hospital sends home with you. I'm a cheapskate, so I took everything that wasn't nailed down.

The List:
2 pairs of sweats
2 shirts
1 bra
1 underwear
a robe
manual breastpump (since I just weaned in January, it is likely my milk will come in while I'm still in the hospital)
"going home" outfit for the baby
a few magazines
granola bars
a minimum of toiletries

In addition, I have a post-it note on my bathroom mirror reminding me to grab things such as the camera, brush, comb, etc - things that I can't pack straight away since I am using them.

You'll notice I've packed a bare minimum of clothing. Honestly, this birthin' business is a messy one, so I ended choosing not to risk soiling my OWN clothing and lounging around instead in the hospital-issued nightgown! To each her own, though so if you feel you would be wearing your own clothes, then definitely pack more clothing.

No comments: